7.20.2007

What I've been ...

...watching

He Walked By Night
(Werker & Mann, 1948)
The only reason this film could have been included in my film noir box is its cinematography, with long shadows and crooked angles, and a great chase through the sewers at the end. The only other interest it can have is historical, as this film is clearly the forebear of every police show ever made: we follow the police, see even the CSI unit of its day, see how a portrait of the suspect is made, etc.

The Fabulous Baker Boys
(Kloves, 1989)
I finally saw this, after hearing Nathanial at the Film Experience sing its praises for so long, and I'm glad I did. The cinematography is indeed gorgeous, as is Michelle Pfeiffer. The performances are spot on, and there are too many well-caught details to name them all here. Also: who knew the Dude was sexy?

Escape from Alcatraz (Siegel, 1979)
What can I say? This is my idea of fun: Clint Eastwood being snarky and kicking some ass. Admittedly, this film is a bit too slow, Clint doesn't really kick that much ass, and the characters are caricatures, but hey. Dirty Harry this is not, but it's fun enough for an hour or two, when you're tired and not up for anything more sophisticated.

...reading

Ghostwritten (David Mitchell)
The last book by Mitchell I hadn't read yet, I liked it. For the first half and more I was just ok with it, going along with it and admiring his craft but not particularly transported, but the last two of the nine stories really hit it out of the park.

As She Climbed Across the Table (Jonathan Lethem)
I keep running into female physicists lately. There's one in the second to last story in Ghostwritten, and this book is entirely about a guy in love with one. This is no masterpiece, but Lethem has fun with the concept (woman falls in love with big void in space whose only characteristic is taste), and manages to surprise you with some observations and ideas.

...listening to

Spoon - Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga
No need to say much about it, just listen to it. "The Underdog" is my favorite so far.

Quentin Tarantino's Death Proof OST
At first I couldn't stop playing April March's "Chick Habit", now it's Dave Dee, Dozy, Beaky, Mick and Titch who get me dancing to "Hold Tight". One plays while a guy gets the shit beaten out of him, the other just before four girls get gruesomely killed. The songs bring a grin to my face. Should I be worried?

No comments: