9.07.2007

Top 50 - #10 - The Princess Bride

Is this a kissing book?

Yes, yes it is, a tale of true wuv, but it's so much more too. Yet I have a lot of trouble saying anything about it except that I cannot watch any part of it without immediately getting a huge grin on my face. Watching the whole movie means jaw cramps the next morning. Shall I try, anyway?

As you wish.

Half the time when I mention this movie, people think I'm talking about the Princess diaries. No, people, no! That doesn't have fencing and the dread pirate Roberts and R.O.U.S.es. That couldn't leave a little boy asking for more.

Grandpa: She doesn't get eaten by the eels at this time
The Grandson
: What?
Grandpa
: The eel doesn't get her. I'm explaining to to because you look nervous.
The Grandson: I wasn't nervous. Maybe I was a little bit "concerned" but that's not the same thing.

Maybe the best thing I can say about this movie is that I cannot pick a favorite part, not even a favorite character. I love the chemistry between Buttercup and Westley, but who can resist Wallace Shawn's "in-con-ceivable", or Fezzik, who's the prototypical brute but at the same time doesn't want his opponents to die embarrassed? Humperdinck and his six-fingered henchmen are wonderful, and then, off course:

Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

Inigo makes sure this movie isn't just all laughs and lightness: his pain for the loss of his father is real and as such grounds the movie just enough to make sure we keep caring. Through the whole movie, bubbly as it is, there is a cynical strain that you wouldn't quite expect. Consider what Westley says:

Life is pain, highness. Everyone who says differently is selling something.

Most movies have a certain demographic. I don't take my mom to see Kill Bill, nor my dad to see a romantic comedy, nor my little brother or sister to an obscure arthouse classic. This film, however, truly has something for everyone, and though I know there are people out there who don't like it, I'm just gonna go ahead and ignore their existence.

The Grandson: Grandpa, maybe you could come over and read it again to me tomorrow.
Grandpa: As you wish.



Next up: #9, featuring nihilists, cut-off toes, and bowling.

1 comment:

Craig Kennedy said...

I've been kind of lurking around the fringes of your Top 50, unsure of where to dip my toe in and a little afraid that I'd somehow end up being held accountable for my OWN Top 50 and I log in and there's #10 and I just had to say something.

There are a lot of movies I like and some people hate them and I guess that's ok. It doesn't feel good, but it's a big world and there's plenty of movies for every taste. If someone doesn't like Dr. Strangelove, I'm not going to take it too personally. Princess Bride, however, is one of my litmus test movies. If you don't like this movie, we just can't be friends. It's that simple. There's something broken inside of you and I'd just be opening myself up to a whole world of hurt so it's not going to happen. Sorry pal, that's the way the cookie crumbles.

If you haven't seen the movie, well that's ok. I understand it seems like a chick flick on the outside and some people don't roll that way, but it's not and you should...as soon as possible.

If you saw it and were indifferent...well, that's bizarre but I believe it's fixable. I think you're still capable of coming around to the joy that is Princess Bride and I believe we can hang out.

Otherwise, no exceptions. Period. It's inconceivable.

"You keep using that word...I do not think it means what you think it means."