1.19.2007

The Science of Sleep (just a small thought in addition)


I should have done this a long time ago. I write, and all of a sudden the thoughts keep on coming. I know this effect won't last long, but I'm going to exploit it while I can. For too long now I've fallen back on TV series and other easy-to digest fare, sitting back and just absorbing what comes towards me, or rather letting it flow through me without causing the slightest stir.

See, I was standing under the shower (aka. the only place I can think undistracted) and all of a sudden it hit me. Stéphane is what Calvin could have turned into had he grown up. And by analogy, Gondry is in fact the new Watterson.

Think about it. Calvin has his transmogrifier, his time machine, his other inventions. Stéphane has his one-second time-machine, the 3-D glasses, etc. Calvin sees his teachers and parents sometimes as aliens, while Stéphane sees his co-workers in very different guises in his dreams. Calvin's makes art with snow, Stéphane with cellophane. They both have trouble distinguishing reality from fantasy.

And isn't it a nice fantasy to think that there might actually be a place in our world for a grown up Calvin?

No comments: